According to Use Less Stuff (ULS), 25% more trash is thrown away during the holidays than any other time of the year. The holiday season is a time of appreciation and sharing. Give a gift to Mother Nature by going green this holiday season.
Here are 5 Tips from the Green Business Bureau for a greener holiday season:
- Recycle wrapping paper: Wrap gifts in recycled wrapping paper. Use newspapers, old tin boxes or wrapping papers from previous years to wrap gifts. Give gifts that don’t require wrapping, such as gift certificates.
- Use recycled holiday cards: Buy cards made from recycled paper or make creative cards using recycled material. You can also reduce waste by sending free electronic greeting cards (eCards) through Daily Green or Care2.
- Buying gifts: Check product labels to determine whether they are made from eco-friendly materials. Buying recycled materials encourages manufacturers to use recycled materials in their products and close the waste loop.
- Make the switch to LED lights: Use LED lights for decoration this season. They are beautiful and cost-effective.
- Set a light timer: Set a timer to have your lights automatically turn on at sunset and turn off when your family goes to bed.
Learn more ways to go green this holiday season from the experts at Green Irene.
Happy Greener Holidays from the Green Business Bureau!