New program will enable Web Hosting Canada customers to verifiably demonstrate their sustainability
Green Business Bureau (GBB) has partnered with Web Hosting Canada (WHC) to bring the GBB sustainability program, framework and certification to Canada’s business community. GBB and WHC are working together to make businesses in every industry more sustainable and protect our planet and workers by enabling businesses to manage a sustainability program and verifiably demonstrate their sustainability to their employees, customers and partners.
The WHC Green Business Program will enable companies to verifiably demonstrate their sustainability and stand out among their peers.
“Green should not just be a buzzword. Businesses and individuals need to do their part to neutralize mankind’s negative impact on our planet’s health. The time for action is now,” said Emil Falcon, CEO of Web Hosting Canada. “By joining GBB, we hope our customers can become more green and more effective at communicating their values, their green commitments and accomplishments.”
100% Green-Powered Cloud Infrastructure
Web Hosting Canada’s core business relies on running thousands of energy-consuming computers to power thousands of web sites and applications. Unlike most North American Cloud providers that power their data centers with energy made from traditional energy sources including burning fossil fuels, 100 percent of the WHC’s cloud infrastructure is powered by green energy. Reducing the carbon footprint of their data centers was a top priority for the WHC team, so the company powers all its servers and systems using renewable energy from their Canadian hydroelectric grid. Today, WHC proudly hosts all of their customers in this eco-friendly way. Our customers all have a lower carbon footprint by using WHC for hosting.
WHAT is the WHC GBB Green Business EcoAssessment and EcoProfile?
GBB will provide members with an online application for the GBB EcoAssessment™ and a library of initiatives and plans in the EcoPlanner™ tool to understand, prioritize, implement and certify their green initiatives. The EcoPlanner™, featuring a list of industry-specific and continually-expanding initiatives, will enable members to get credit for the sustainability actions they have already taken for their industries, including recycling, efficient lighting, solar, green energy, plastic elimination, waste management and carbon offsetting. Businesses reaching the gold and platinum levels will then be verified by the Green Business Bureau.
“We’re excited to provide our sustainability management and certification solution to the Canada business community and WHC customers. The Green Business Bureau seal is well known and trusted, enabling green businesses to demonstrate their commitment to sustainability. Businesses committed to green business will get the credit they’ve earned and deserve.”
– Tom Permatteo, CEO/Founder, Green Business Bureau
WHY should WHC customers participate in the WHC Green Business Program?
Sustainability certification for business is more than just a stamp of approval. It is a commitment to making business changes that really make an impact. These green programs and social initiatives are not just one-off tactics. They can build upon each other and help to ensure eco-friendly and socially responsible programs are ingrained into each part of a business. Businesses join GBB and become more sustainable to:
- Contribute to fighting climate change and protecting the environment.
- Create a more socially responsible corporate culture.
- Become more efficient, reduce energy costs, and minimize waste.
- Demonstrate their commitment to customers and partners.
- Demonstrate their commitment to employees and job applicants who want to work for sustainable companies.
- Elevate their brand and reputation and promote their sustainable business to customers who want to buy from sustainable companies!
HOW will the WHC Green Business Program work once launched?
Leveraging the WHC GBB Sustainability Program will be all online and easy. Here is how it will work:
- Companies will sign up for membership at GreenBusinessBureau.com for immediate access to GBB’s library of green initiatives and online EcoPlanner tool that includes maritime-specific initiatives.
- Next, they will complete the GBB EcoAssessment to earn EcoPoints for the green initiatives already completed and to create a baseline EcoScore.
- Once a business completes the GBB prerequisites, it will be able to earn different levels of the Green Business Bureau status seals (with GBB verification) and share their official EcoProfile publicly.
- Companies will be encouraged to use the EcoPlanner regularly to find and implement new green initiatives and become an even greener business.
- Businesses will be able to earn the Gold- and Platinum-level GBB seals by completing more initiatives and earning the required number of EcoPoints for each level.