New program will enable maritime suppliers to verifiably demonstrate their sustainability
Green Business Bureau (GBB) has partnered with the International Marine Purchasing Association (IMPA) to bring the GBB sustainability program, framework and certification to the global maritime industry. GBB and IMPA are working together to make ship manufacturers, services, operators and suppliers more sustainable and protect our planet and workers by enabling businesses to manage a sustainability program and verifiably demonstrate their sustainability to their employees, customers and partners.
Due to launch this summer, the IMPA Green Business Program will enable suppliers to verifiably demonstrate their sustainability and stand out among their peers. It will include full integration with the new and improved IMPA Members’ Directory where purchasers will be able to identify outstanding sustainability-focused suppliers while browsing.
WHAT is the IMPA GBB Green Business EcoAssessment and EcoProfile?
GBB will provide members with an online application for the GBB EcoAssessment™ and a library of initiatives and plans in the EcoPlanner™ tool to understand, prioritize, implement and certify their green initiatives. The EcoPlanner™, featuring a list of industry-specific and continually-expanding initiatives as a result of research and development conducted by IMPA, will enable members to get credit for the sustainability actions they have already taken for their industries, including recycling, efficient lighting, solar, green energy, plastic elimination, waste management and carbon offsetting. Individual initiatives will be rated on environmental impact, implementation cost and effort, and will be worth 1 to 40 EcoPoints™. Businesses reaching the gold and platinum levels will then be verified by the Green Business Bureau.
WHY should IMPA supplier members participate in the IMPA Green Business Program?
Sustainability certification for business is more than just a stamp of approval. It is a commitment to making business changes that really make an impact. These green programs and social initiatives are not just one-off tactics. They can build upon each other and help to ensure eco-friendly and socially responsible programs are ingrained into each part of a business. Businesses join GBB and become more sustainable in order to:
- Contribute to fighting climate change and protecting the environment.
- Create a more socially responsible corporate culture.
- Become more efficient, reduce energy costs and minimize waste.
- Demonstrate their commitment to customers and partners.
- Demonstrate their commitment to employees and job applicants who want to work for sustainable companies.
- Elevate their brand and reputation and promote their sustainable business to customers who want to buy from sustainable companies!
HOW will the IMPA Green Business Program work once launched?
Leveraging the GBB Sustainability Program will be all online and easy. Here is how it will work:
- Companies will sign up for membership at GreenBusinessBureau.com for immediate access to GBB’s library of green initiatives and online EcoPlanner tool that includes maritime-specific initiatives.
- Next, they will complete the GBB EcoAssessment to earn EcoPoints for the green initiatives already completed and to create a baseline EcoScore.
- Once a business completes the GBB prerequisites, it will be able to earn different levels of the Green Business Bureau status seals (with GBB verification) and share their official EcoProfile publicly, as well as have the seal included in their listing in the IMPA Members’ Directory.
- Companies will be encouraged to use the EcoPlanner regularly to find and implement new green initiatives and become an even greener business.
- Businesses will be able to earn the Gold- and Platinum-level GBB seals by completing more initiatives and earning the required number of EcoPoints for each level.