For Immediate Release July 15, 2016
Van Eerden Foodservice Company Joins The Green Business Bureau
Grand Rapids, Michigan – By committing to going green, Van Eerden Foodservice Company is paving the way for future growth that will make the foodservice distributor more competitive. Their commitments will reduce their environmental footprint, which in turn will support their clients’ environmental objectives. Since their services support minimizing waste and energy usage, Van Eerden feels a particular obligation to be responsible with their choices and actions.
Reinforcing their values of saving natural resources, Van Eerden has joined the Green Business Bureau, which is a national membership organization that uses an online assessment to certify green businesses. Van Eerden embodies the goal to be the most environmentally responsible and ethically engaged enterprise in the industry, and Green Business Bureau will work closely with the company to achieve that goal. As part the certification process, GBB will:
- Provide continual updates on ways to go green
- Highlight the easier, more attainable, and smaller projects to work on towards going green.
- Schedule quarterly or semiannual webinars with updates and Q&A’s
- GBB rep to come and visit and assess areas for improvements
Since joining, Van Eerden has implemented key environmental initiatives:
- Place a company employee on the organizing committee for the same or another event to achieve maximum involvement and exposure
- Place an outdoor ashtray or cigarette butt can in a convenient space for smokers
- Put your refrigerator and other appliances on timers and turn off refrigerator for 90 minutes twice a night, while nobody is going in/out of it
- Donate leftover and unwanted food-to-food banks
- Install light switch occupancy sensors in proper locations to automatically turn off lighting when no one is present
- Replace regular light bulbs with Compact Fluorescent Light bulbs (CFL) that last longer and save energy
- Arrange the workspace to take advantage of areas with natural sunlight; design future spaces with natural lighting opportunities in mind
- Reduce air leaks with weather stripping and caulking around windows and doorways.
- Use lighting more efficiently with task lighting and daylighting
- Arrange for a single delivery of several items from vendors
For more information on Van Eerden Foodservice, please visit http://vaneerden.com/
For more information on the GBB program, please visit http://www.gbb.org
# # #
About Van Eerden Foodservice: Van Eerden Foodservice Company is an independent, broad line foodservice distributor that is based in Grand Rapids, Michigan, and has provided quality foodservice products and services since 1920 throughout the Midwest. We offer a wide range of national brands and private label dry and frozen foods and serve a diverse group of customers. Van Eerden Foodservice is a partner with Pro*Act, a national network of local produce distributors that has taken on the initiative of Greener Fields Together (GFT). GFT engages every link in the fresh food supply chain – from farmer to distributor to customer – to work toward more conscious production and consumption. The initiative provides a level of assurance that produce sourced and delivered through our network has been grown, harvested and handled using sustainable practices.
Manager of Produce
650 Ionia Ave., SW
Grand Rapids, MI, 49501